Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Second Day of Filming



The vlog above is from Saturday night, but I was sick yesterday so I didn't get around to posting it. I uploaded the footage to iMovie, and from what I've looked over, the shots seem to be better than the first time. As I mentioned in the vlog, I had Natalie wear a red/burgundy shirt this time around and I ended up really liking how it looked within the shots. The color contrast brought attention to her and in terms of color psychology, the red symbolized her emotional frenzy.


Behind the scenes shot of me directing
Natalie as I dangle out of my trunk (photo by
Adriana Sasso)
While filming I had my shot list to keep me focused, but I got some good shots that I wasn't planning on. For one in particular, I was sitting in the back seat of the car and wanted to a dolly shot from the side of Natalie running. I didn't realize it but I had the camera too zoomed in, so I only got her arms swinging. It actually looked really good so I kept going. In another shot, as Natalie ran away from me I tilted the camera into a dutch angle. I'm not sure if those shots will make the final cut, but I thought it looked cool and added to the theme of confusion and chaos.


Another part that I'm excited about is the ending. I achieved that transition of a long shot to a close up, having Natalie run into the camera, and kept her in the close up. I ended that shot, but kept Natalie in the same position and got a medium shot where I rotated around her, as her emotions kept building and building. I'm thinking I might do a jump-cut type editing between the forward facing close up, and the rotating medium shot, paired with the quick inserts. If I execute it well, hopefully all of the shots combined will create a sense of chaos within the character.



Fun little panorama from shooting (photo by Claire Friedman)
Overall, I'm really happy with how the second day of filming went. I think that I was able to fix the mistakes I had made previously, which made for a better product. I used same friends to be part of the crew so they were also more comfortable with their jobs the second time around. I'm going to go home tonight and look over what I have again so I can make some progress in the editing process because ya girl likes a lot of time for editing (which I hope I can actually have!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment