Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Focusing the spotlight

When considering what films to research and take inspiration from, my first thought was Spotlight (2015). I chose this particular film because it also involves the Catholic church. The intention behind Spotlight is obviously different than mine but I was curious how they approached an expose of religion and how the Catholic church felt. I found a Washington Post article  from which I got the
sense that the church couldn't be completely offended by the film because it was based on true events. Other critics support the film because it brought an important issue to the surface in order to promote better protection of the youth.

I was also interested in the marketing in Spotlight. In its opening weekend, the film was one of the highest grossing films in 2015 so the marketing must have been successful. One of the biggest appeals to the film was the all-star cast, included Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo. By getting actors that audiences are familiar with was a very smart decision because priests sexually abusing children may not have raked in as many viewers as it did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment